Obsidio // Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Obsidio // Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff


!!Spoiler Free!!

Series ~ Illuminae Files #3

Genre ~ Sci-Fi, Romance, YA

Page # ~ 624

ISBN ~ 055349919X

Published ~ 3/13/2018

Rating ~ 

Synopsis ~

    Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their lives from the attacks on Heimdall station and now find themselves crammed with 2,000 refugees on the container ship, Mao. With the jump station destroyed and their resources scarce, the only option is to return to Kerenza--but who knows what they'll find seven months after the invasion?

    Meanwhile, Kady's cousin, Asha, survived the initial BeiTech assault and has joined Kerenza's ragtag underground resistance. When Rhys--an old flame from Asha's past--reappears on Kerenza, the two find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict. With time running out, a final battle will be waged on land and in space, heroes will fall, and hearts will be broken.


Thoughts ~

    I- I can't even comprehend this absolute MASTERPIECE of a book! It was a perfect conclusion to this fantastic series and it wrapped everything up beautifully, but still managed to make us wish for more. It has the same document-style layout with beautiful writing and illustrations. And of course, the characters we know and love were here for the ride. 

    But... Avery, you rated it 4 stars... Yes, I know, butttt everything I said is still true. The reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is solely because the two new characters we meet in this one, Asha and Rhys, didn't hold a candle to the main characters in Illuminae and Gemina. It's not that they were bad, but I didn't connect to them and become attached to them like the others (I'm looking at you Ella, Ezra, and Hanna). 

    But anyway, the book was still wonderful, the beginning was a little slow, mostly because I didn't know the characters well and I didn't really know what was going on. But then everything just exploded (...literally) into chaos and I WAS HOOKED. The beginning was mainly Asha and Rhys, but when the whole gang showed up, everything became so much more intense and I couldn't put it down. I'm pretty sure I read half the book in one day, it was that good (and it's not a small book). 

    Again, this book is not a standalone, even though it has different main characters. It is the third book in the Illuminae Files series, and you have to read them in order. 

    The end of Obsidio wrapped up beautifully in a way that filled all plot holes but still left me wondering. We find out who made these files (and who our favorite security footage man is 😊) and more of the little things I've been wondering. I laughed out loud, ugly cried, and was shocked constantly. I loved it!

Things I Loved ~

-Obviously the gang, the squad, the homies... you know the drill, friend squads in books are the BEST 👍

-Just like seeing all my favorite characters again was like nostalgic you know

-I did loooove Asha's little girl that she took care of... I forgot her name, but she was real cute 😍

-I also looooved The Duke and that little crew, they were super interesting characters, even if they were just some random soldiers, they still brought a ton to the storyline

-The way all the characters are so dramatic like its so funny

-THE PARACHUTE ❤❤

-The end fight and the climax of the book was INSANE, loved it

-THE ENTIRE PAGE WE GOT OF KADY X EZRA FLUFFFFF

-AND EVEN MORE FLUFF AT THE END

-The "disguise" Nik had at the end 😂 (if you know you know)

-Little spider back at it again

-Anyways, seriously the illustrations again were out of this world (pun intended), and the writing was so fluid and compelling

Things I Didn't Love ~

-The beginning was pretty confusing because of what the characters were hiding, which was purposeful, but I still was a wee bit confused until the truth was told

-Again, the two new main characters, Asha and Rhys, weren't really anything special to me

-Otherwise, I can't think of much, the good easily outweighs the bad

Characters ~

-Asha Grant 

“But Asha Grant isn't a hacker wizard like her cousin. She's not a kung fu expert. She's not particularly brilliant at anything. She's a ***ing pharmacy intern, chum. Just a regular person like you. An ordinary person caught up in a really **** situation.So I think, out of every person in these files, that makes her the bravest.”

    Asha was a pretty solid main character. I didn't ever really feel connected to her, but she definitely wasn't bad. She is still on Kerenza IV, working at the hospital there. She is also Kady's cousin, but whereas Kady is more sarcastic and confident, Asha is the shy, kinder one, which admittedly was a nice break from our other main ladies who are throwing themselves into danger every chance they can get. She was real sweet and she has a pretty shocking past, but otherwise I wasnt attached to her.

-Rhys Lindstrom

"Ive watched this on slo-mo a dozen times, and I swear you can count 27 different expressions on Lindstrom's face in a three-second time span."

    Even though I could barely read his name without thinking of Rhysand from ACOTAR, he was also pretty solid as a character. He was pretty funny and your average snarky boy, but really the best moments with him was when everyone was constantly making fun of his hair. He was super sweet to Asha, which I was living for. I loved his storyline and how he is a BeiTech soldier, supposedly one of the bad guys, and yet when he realizes how bad BeiTech is, he immediately tries to enlighten the other soldiers and tries to help.

Quotes ~

"The die is cast. But today we will shake the table upon which it lands."

"Hey, if hostile battleship takeovers were easy, everybody would do it."

"Every story needs its hero. And its villain. And its monster."

"I was thinking," he murmurs. "There'a billion different versions of you out there, in a trillion different universes. And I still can't get over how lucky I am that, out of all those versions, you're the one that's mine.”

"It is entirely possible to be alone in a crowded room. Your solitude only compounded by the faces around you. The presence of others serving only to remind you of how lonely you truly are."

“They look at one another again. And this time, they smile. These seven little pebbles who started an avalanche heard all the way around the universe.”

Do I Recommend?

YES YES YES! Please read this whole series, 100% one of my favorite series! So yeah, read it.

Similar Books ~

The Invisible Life of Addie Larue - V.E. Schwab



Legendborn - Tracy Deonn




Kingdom of the Wicken - Kerri Maniscalco




Thanks for stopping by! ❤
Check out my BookTok, Goodreads, Pinterest, and Book Pinterest! Links in sidebar

Comments

Popular Posts

Salt to the Sea // Ruta Sepetys

Between Shades of Gray // Ruta Sepetys

Reading Log